#134: Courage to Grow: How to Create a Human Growth Machine, The Magic in Ordeals, & Why Hope Can Be Gritty
How do you feel about your children’s education? Do you truly believe that they are learning the information and tools that they’ll need as adults?
Today’s guest, and my new friend, is Laura Sandefer. She is the co-founder of Acton Academy and the author of a new, best-selling book about the unconventional ways that students are growing, learning, and developing at Acton. And this method is unlike anything that you are probably used to.
In this episode, Laura talks about the school, which she calls a human growth machine, and why she believes that education should be more about human transformation than making good grades. According to Laura, “Every child is a genius and deserves to find a calling and change the world.”''The beauty is in the ordeal. And without facing the ordeals, you can’t get to the magic.'' - Laura Sandefer Click To Tweet
Here’s What You’ll Discover
- Why Acton Academy feels strongly about parent involvement in learning, and tips for becoming more involved with your own children’s education. [8:11]
- Laura’s personal story about how her family life impacted her learning and the two haunting words her dad shared with her as she headed off for college. [10:58]
- The reason Laura believes that you should undo everything you thought about education. [15:22]
- An ordeal in Laura’s family life and a unique approach we can all take when facing challenges. [29:00]
Links and Resources
- Courage to Grow: How Acton Academy Turns Learning Upside Down
- Seth Godin
- The Hero’s Journey by Joseph Campbell
- The Three Big Questions for a Frantic Family: A Leadership Fable About Restoring Sanity To The Most Important Organization In Your Life
- Front Row Family Summit
- Front Row Dads
- Front Row Dads FB Group
- Front Row Foundation
Enjoying the Show?
For iTunes listeners, get automatic downloads and share the love by subscribing, rating & reviewing here!