#63: Success Through Failure with Wrestling Champ Jim Harshaw
How do you see failure? When is the last time you failed big and what did you learn from it? Have some of your greatest lessons throughout life come from failing? Has your greatest growth come via your greatest struggle?
Robert F. Kennedy said “Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.” What are you daring to do this week?
At dinner time, I often ask my kids, “What’s your failure and front row moment today?” I want to know where they tried something, failed and what they learned from it. I also want to know about their front row moment, or said another way, a highlight of their day. I define a front row moment as a time when we are fully alive, connected to what matters most and experiencing something awesome.
I’m fascinated by failure and how we use it to thrive — that’s why I invited my friend, Division 1 All-American wrestler and all around great guy, Jim Harshaw to the show.
After winning three Championships for the University of Virginia, training at the Olympic Training Center and competing overseas for Team USA, he has experienced significant triumph, devastating defeat and learned many great lessons on the mat.
As a speaker, coach, dad and business leader, he relates those powerful lessons of failure, struggle and setback to empower people to overcome their own challenges and achieve success.
Here’s a quick breakdown of our chat…
- [07:49] Coping with the moments that are out of your control.
- [12:29] Discover the 4 part framework that helps you to create an environment of excellence
- [23:47] What can we learn from the pain of failure and how can we leverage it to lead better lives?
- [28:06] How Jim went from bombing as a self-doubting speaker to rocking the TEDx stage.
- [35:35] How to find clarity of action and peace of mind through the productive pause method.
- [42:54] Jim asks me, “What are the 3 areas of your life that you want to improve the most?” What would yours be?
- [49:56] Q: What does Jake the Snake have to do with you hitting your biggest dreams and goals in life? A: Maybe everything
Enjoying the show? For iTunes listeners, get automatic downloads and share the love by subscribing, rating & reviewing here!
Check out the unbelievable toy room Jim built for his kids!
Links and Resources
- Success Through Failure Podcast
- Why I Teach My Children To Fail
- The Dadly Book of Open
- How to Win Friends and Influence People
- The Resurrection of Jake the Snake
If you’re enjoying the show, let us know about it HERE \o/