#84: Climbing Blind, Channeling Ego & 7 Summits with Adventurer Erik Weihenmayer
Have you ever been faced with a challenge that people told you was impossible? Did you let fear stop you from moving forward or did you persevere when nobody thought you could?
In this inspiring conversation with Erik Weihenmayer, he’ll teach you how to harness the power of adversity, overcome seemingly insurmountable obstacles, and live a life of purpose and impact!
Erik Weihenmayer is one of the most celebrated and accomplished athletes in the world. In 2001, he became the only blind person in history to climb Mount Everest. When he stood on the top of Carstensz Pyramid in 2008, he completed his quest to climb all of the Seven Summits – the tallest peak on each of the seven continents.
In September 2014, Erik and blinded Navy veteran, Lonnie Bedwell, kayaked the entire 277-miles of the Grand Canyon on the Colorado River, considered one of the most formidable whitewater venues in the world. Erik continually seeks out new adventures, focusing his efforts on empowering people traditionally swept to the sidelines of life. He founded an organization called No Barriers, which helps people with challenges tap into the human spirit, break through barriers, and contribute to the world.
To celebrate the 10th anniversary of their Everest ascent, Erik and his team founded a new No Barriers program, No Barriers Warriors, which uses teamwork and the mountains as a transformative force to help veterans reclaim their lives after devastating injuries.
Erik is the author of two best-selling books: his memoir, Touch the Top of the World and The Adversity Advantage, which offers lessons for turning challenges into greatness. He is an internationally recognized speaker and brings his message of living a No Barriers Life to audiences around the world.
What I love most about this conversation is Erik’s unique ability to step back and find new perspective and solutions to problems that allow him to keep moving forward. At the point when most people would decide to give up, Erik just finds another route.
This discussion is loaded with inspiring stories and proof that regardless of your abilities, what’s inside of you is stronger than what’s in the way.''If I can’t move forward, then I’ll move in another direction.'' - Erik Weihenmayer Click To Tweet
Here’s a quick breakdown of our chat…
- [05:50] Learn about Erik’s “Open Heart Policy” and how it can help you find hope and possibility, even during life’s most challenging moments.
- [07:43] Erik describes his first attempt at rock climbing as a blind kid and how it completely changed the trajectory of his life.
- [09:00] Learn how to courageously overcome the naysayers, and turn judgement and ridicule into fuel for your toughest obstacles.
- [14:00] Erik talks about summiting Mt. Everest, the moment that still brings tears to his eyes, and the role his incredible team played in the process.
- [17:30] How to surround yourself with incredible people who will step up when you need them most.
- [19:42] Why you should stop rejecting your ego and start channeling it to do something great.
- [23:00] Find out how Eric turned his past achievements into catalysts to push beyond his limits, learned to Kayak blind, traveled 277-miles of the Colorado River, got knocked over and beat down, and kept on moving forward!
- [33:00] How to manage fear and break through barriers when you’re way over your head!
- [38:50] Erik describes why family is the greatest “no barriers” journey of them all and how he hopes to be remembered by his kids.
- [53:30]Learn how you can rebuild and rediscover yourself in the midst of adversity.
Enjoying the show?
For iTunes listeners, get automatic downloads and share the love by subscribing, rating & reviewing here!
Links and Resources
- [SITE] Touch The Top
- [SITE] No Barriers USA
- [BOOK] No Barriers: A Blind Man’s Journey to Kayak the Grand Canyon
- [BOOK] Touch the Top of the World
- [BOOK] The Adversity Advantage
- [SOCIAL] Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter
If you’re enjoying the show, let us know about it HERE \o/