#75: Breaking World Records, Rowing The Ocean & Clearing Bombs with Charitable Adventurer Charlie Martell
When life takes a turn for the worst, how do you react? More importantly, how do you prepare?
Today, Charlie Martell joins us from Baghdad, Iraq to talk about his 2012 attempt to row the North Pacific Ocean and how he survived an unexpected typhoon that capsized his boat during his journey.
A double Guinness World Record holder, Royal Engineer Charlie Martell is no stranger to adventure. Active service in Iraq, Bosnia and Northern Ireland led to a post-Army career in the humanitarian sector, where he specialized in post-conflict resolution. Working in mine-affected countries such as Cambodia, Angola and the Republic of Georgia opened his eyes to what specialists like him could do for communities living amongst mines, bombs and other debris of war.
Charlie’s previous expeditions include a 300-mile ski-trek to the Magnetic North Pole and a four-man row across the North Atlantic Ocean. Together these expeditions raised more than £250,000 for charity.
In this episode, Charlie shares his inspiring story and talks about the importance of planning for the unexpected. You’ll find out how he manages his mindset during adversity, the importance of visualizing your goals, the Kelly Clarkson song that helped him survive a Typhoon, and why he’s willing to put his life at risk again in a 2nd attempt to cross the North Pacific.''Somebody at some point has to get across that ocean from land to land. Why not me?'' Click To Tweet
Here’s a quick breakdown of our chat…
- [06:47] Charlie shares some of the incredible records he’s set and his dream to become the 1st person ever to row solo across the North Pacific Ocean.
- [09:30] Find out where Charlie’s driving force for winning came from!
- [11:15] Hear about the life-threatening typhoon that capsized his boat during his 1st attempt traversing the Pacific Ocean.
- [18:20] Lessons on how to manage your mindset and emotions in the midst of adversity.
- [23:40] Facing fear and the role that faith plays in Charlie’s life.
- [26:15] The charitable element of Charlie’s adventures and efforts.
- [28:20] Charlie’s unexpected yet spectacular “recovery” by a Russian ship.
- [33:00] Why it’s critical to plan for the unexpected.
- [35:40] The impact visualization has on achieving your goals.
- [48:37] Find out why a lifelong adventure with countless world records wants to be remembered for his sense of humanity
Charlie’s attempt to row the North Pacific Ocean
Enjoying the show?
For iTunes listeners, get automatic downloads and share the love by subscribing, rating & reviewing here!
Get Your Copy of The Front Row Factor: The Art of Moment Making Today!
Links and Resources
- [SITE] GoFundMe.com/Pacific-2018
- [VIDEO] Discovery Channel Part II (Charlie Martell)
- [CHARITY] Veterans In Action
- [SITE] GoBundance
- [BOOK] Transform Your Life Through The Art of Moment Making
If you’re enjoying the show, let us know about it HERE \o/